AKELEY CITY COUNCIL REGULAR MEETING
JUNE 8, 2016, 6:00 PM
AKELEY CITY HALL
Call the Meeting to Order
- Roll Call
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Consent Agenda
- Minutes from May 11, 2016 Regular Meeting
- Minutes from June 7, 2016 Special Meeting
- Treasurer’s Report
Total Disbursements $105,548.57 including all automatic payments
Check numbers #14267 to #14349
Total Receipts $112,007.47 including all automatic deposits
Voided Checks 14312, wrong vendor
Claims List of Approval
- May Building Permits Issued – 0
- HRDC REPORT – Not available.
- City Hall – Sebrina Hegg
- Audit Report – Chris Clausen
- Application for Vacation of Street
- Heartland Trail
- Ordinance 101Schedule of fees and services
- Resolution 16-2016 Summary Submit Ordinance 101 Amendment 1-2016
- Resolution 6-2016 Transferring funds and closing the Petty Cash Checking Debit Account
- Policy: Paychecks, Deposit and Mandatory Deductions
- EHCFD Relief Association Temp Liquor License
- Liquor Liability Quote
- Resolution 17-2016 Paul Bunyan Park Bathroom Committee and Sponsorship
- East Hubbard County Fire District – Bobbie Emery
- Police Department - Jimmy Hansen
- Liquor Store - Lacey Hitchcock
- Water/Sewer/Maintenance Report – Kelly VandenEykel
- Department Head Employee Evaluations: The public body may close a meeting to evaluate the performance of an individual who is subject to its authority. The meeting must be open at the request of individual to be evaluated prior to the closing of the meeting. MN Stat §13D.01subd. 3 and 13D.05subd. 3(a)
- Jimmy Hansen
- Sebrina Hegg
- Lacey Hitchcock
- Kelly VandenEykel
5.2015 IFR MONTHLY
5.2016 CASH BALANCE STATEMENT
5.2016 CASH CONTROL STATEMENT
5.2016 CLAIMS HISTORY
5.2016 DISBURSEMENT REGISTER
5.2016 FINANCIAL STATEMENT
5.2016 IFR ACCOUNT NUMBER YTD
5.2016 IFR OBJECT CODE YTD
5.2016 OSC DIT
5.2016 RECEIPTS REGISTER
5.2016 SCHEDULE 1
5.2016 SCHEDULE 1 .xls
MINUTES OF THE AKELEY CITY COUNCIL REGULAR MEETING
HELD AT AKELEY CITY HALL 6:00PM, MAY 11, 2016
The Akeley City Council met in a regular meeting Wednesday, May 11, 2016. Mayor Brian Hitchcock called the meeting to order at 6:00pm.
Council members present: Mayor Brian Hitchcock, Dan Riggs, Bobbie Emery, Billy Krotzer & Margaret Bond-Vorel.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited by the Council and attending audience.
- Mayor Hitchcock expressed his disapproval of the new format of the agenda. Sebrina explained that this is the way she had been shown in the Clerk’s Training she had attended the previous week. Mayor Hitchcock reported that he had called the LMC and they indicated that the City Council has the power to regulate its own procedure and that any changes need to be approved by the City Council.
- Motion made by Dan Riggs to approve the agenda and work through it as written, seconded by Billy Krotzer, Passed.
- Minutes from April 13, 2016 Regular Meeting
- Minutes from April 13, 2016 LBA Meeting
- Minutes from April 19, 2016 Special Meeting
- Motion made by Billy Krotzer to approve the minutes, seconded by Bobbie Emery, Passed.
- Total Disbursements $225,189.79 including all automatic payments
- Check numbers #14079 to #14266
- Total Receipts $196,286.63 including all automatic deposits
- Voided Checks 14210 duplicate payment
- Claims List of Approval
- Motion made by Dan Riggs to approve the finance portion of the agenda, seconded by Margaret Bond-Vorel, Passed.
- 6.1 April Building Permits Issued – 1
- 6.2 HRDC REPORT March and April
- 6.3 Akeley Municipal Liquor Store Temporary Liquor License Saturday June 25, 2016
- 6.4 EHCFD Fire Relief Temporary Liquor License Sunday June 26, 2016
- 6.5 Payment #6 $117,605.95 Water Improvement Project
- 6.6 Payment #7 $90,368.75 Water Improvement Project
- 6.7 Water Plant: Purchase Hardware Fire Wall, Setup and Training in the amount of $2,397.00
- 6.8 LMC Liability Coverage Waiver Form – Does Not Waive
- Motion made by Dan Riggs to approve parts 6.1, 6.2, 6.5 & 6.6 of the consent agenda, seconded by Billy Krotzer, Passed.
- 6.3 Akeley Municipal Liquor Store Temporary Liquor License Saturday June 25, 2016. Discussion was to change the license to say that June 24th on the Liquor Store parking lot and a separate license for June 25th at Paul’s Patio. Discussion of the time that the Liquor Store will be
- Motion made by Bobbie Emery to approve the temporary liquor license for June 25th at Paul’s Patio for the Akeley Municipal Liquor Store, seconded by Dan Riggs, Passed.
- Motion made by Bobbie Emery to approve the temporary liquor license for June 24th between the muni and laundromat, seconded by Dan Riggs, Passed.
- 6.4 EHCFD Fire Relief Temporary Liquor License Sunday June 26, 2016. Discussion that the EHCFD Fire Relief will sell beer on Sunday June 26th and that there is a no liability insurance noted on the application.
- Motion made by Bobbie Emery to table the Liquor License of the EHCFD Relief Association until the June Council Meeting – June 8, 2016, seconded by Dan Riggs, Passed with Billy Krotzer abstaining.
- 6.7 Water Plant: Purchase Hardware Fire Wall, Setup and Training in the amount of $2,397.00. Kelly explained to the council what the Fire Wall would do for the City. The software would be able to eliminate most service calls. Additionally the Water Plant would be able to be done through the controllers remotely from with an application on the phone. The DSL already had to be put in the plant for the system so there would not be an additional charge for DSL for the Fire Wall. There is no service charge for the use of the Fire Wall, only if they would have to come to Akeley.
- Motion made by Dan Riggs to approve the $2,397.00 for purchase of the Fire Wall to the new Controls at the Water Plant, seconded by Bobbie Emery, Passed.
- 6.8 LMC Liability Coverage Waiver Form – Does Not Waive. Mayor Hitchcock explained that not waiving the liability a claim cannot go over $500,000 if waived a claim could go up to $2M this is why we generally do not waive it.
- Motion made by Bobbie Emery to not waive the monetary limits on municipal tort liability on the Liability Coverage – Waiver Form, seconded by Margaret Bond-Vorel, Passed.
Comments from Citizens
- Safe Parks Program. Brandi Vredenburg was unable to be at the meeting.
- Motion made by Dan Riggs to donate $750 to the Safe Parks Program coming from the park fund, seconded by Billy Krotzer, Passed.
- Discussion on when to hold the Employee Evaluations for Department Heads concluded that they will be held following the regularly scheduled City Council meeting in June.
- Chuck Andress asked that the City be the fiscal agent for the New Bathrooms in Paul Bunyan Park. Sebrina explained it would be the same as others that we are just the “funnel through” for the funds but that the group would be responsible for application of the grant. The City would include a statement of intent to be the owner of the bathrooms and provide insurance, maintenance and pay all utilities and taxes. Chuck also asked for the legal description of the area. He indicated he has had trouble with the DNR.
- Motion made by Brian Hitchcock that the City of Akeley become the Fiscal Agent for this project and write a Memorandum of Understanding for the bathroom project at the park, seconded by Margaret Bond-Vorel, Passed.
East Hubbard County Fire District – Dan Riggs
- Council reviewed the draft of April 2016 Minutes.
- Bobbie reported on the new budget process.
- Billy reporter that the state is looking in to have repeater put on the City water tower to improve the signal for the pagers in the city limits.
Police Department – Jimmy Hansen
- Reported attending annual training last month.
- Reported on taking squad car in for some warranty work and had it serviced and putting on new tires.
- Discussion about blight concerns. There is another property that is being looked at. Reported that most are being compliant.
- Reported about concern of the visibility of the crosswalks in town. Bobbie and Kelly will check with DOT on what can be done.
- National Night Out is scheduled for August 2nd.
- Bobbie reported on looking into health insurance for the full time staff.
Liquor Store - Lacey Hitchcock (Not Here)
- Reported on closing & roping off Graceson Avenue by the liquor store to have a band on Friday of Paul Bunyan Days.
- FYI new “Monday Mexican Night” went well. Will continue and looking into doing some other promotions going like bingo or meat raffles.
- Looking at having TVs added to the Muni to be able to promoting events and advertising.
- Discussed having a “Beer Booth” at the Park to be able to have an enclosure. In the future it could be rented out as an added benefit to renting Paul’s Patio. Council gave permission to see what it would cost and possibly be added to next year’s budget.
Parks - Billy Krotzer
- Melody and Billy worked on new brochures and will have them printed through VistaPrint.
- Kelly reported on the finish of the bathrooms.
- Kelly asked that the city look into raising the cost for non-campers for showers and waste dumping. The Council recommends having the showers go to $7.00 and the waste dumping go to $10.00.
- Concerns from Larry, Campground Manager, to allow seasonal campers first choice at the sight they are in for the following year. Site 5 was reserved for 2017 before the campers in 5 this year were asked to reserve it. Discussion of opening site 10 up to be a seasonal site.
- Sebrina asked about looking into better program for reservations at the campground.
Water/Sewer/Maintenance Report – Kelly VandenEykel
- Kelly reported on the progress at the water plant and repairs to the lift station at the park.
- Kelly reported on the work on grading the roads. Staff Street will be dug up, filled in with crushed concrete and then resurfaced with class five.
- Brian reported that the beach road has a full culvert.
- Billy reported that the UB-pay link on the city website is broken.
- Brian presented a Letter and award from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency for the 2015 Waste Water Treatment Facility Operation Award.
- Margaret reported that because Akeley is a smaller community the AWAIR program and the Safety Committee could consist of Department Heads and 1 Council Member; but it is required to have both.
- Report that the pay equity items were sent in to MMB.
- Thank You from Library.
Motion by Billy Krotzer to adjourn at 7:51 pm, seconded by Margaret Bond-Vorel, Passed.
Respectfully Submitted by,
MINUTES OF THE AKELEY CITY COUNCIL
HELD AT AKELEY CITY HALL 2:00PM, April 19, 2016
The Akeley City Council met in a special meeting Tuesday April 19, 2016. Mayor Brian Hitchcock called the meeting to order at 2:00pm.
Council members present: Mayor Brian Hitchcock, Dan Riggs, Bobbie Emery, Billy Krotzer and Margaret Bond-Vorel
Also present: Kelly VandenEykel, Maintenance and Sebrina Hegg, Clerk/Treasurer
Discussion of the Citation and Notification of Penalty, violation of Minn. Rules 5206.0700 subp. 1, 2, and 3: The employer did not develop and implement a Right-to-Know training program for employees who were routinely exposed to hazardous substances and harmful physical agents. This Citation carries a penalty of $500.00.
Discussion of the right to know policy. Discussion of the training required by OSHA. Sebrina stated that the training is available as webinars and that there needs to be sign in sheets or documents of the training being completed by each employee.
Motion by Dan Riggs to implement right to know manual for the City of Akeley and get a copy to each of the department heads so they can personalize it to their department, seconded by Billy Krotzer, and passed.
Motion by Brian Hitchcock to pay the fine of $500 for the Citation of not having a Right to Know training program, seconded by Billy Krotzer, and passed.
Discussion of the Citation and Notification of Penalty, violation of 29 CFR 1904.29(a): A Log of all Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses (OSHA Form 300), and /or the Summary of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses, (OSHA Form 300A), and/or the Injury and Illness Incident Report (OSHA Form 301) or equivalent forms were not kept by the establishment. There was no penalty for this citation.
Sebrina stated that this is just an administrative issue that needs to be implemented.
Discussion of the Citation and Notification of Penalty, violation of 29 CFR 1910.1200(h)(3)(iv): Employees training did not include the details of the hazard communication program developed by the employer, including an explanation of the labeling system and the safety data sheets, and how employees can obtain and use appropriate hazard information. This Citation carries a penalty of $125.00.
Discussion of the MSDS logs that need to be kept at each department. Discussion of specific training that needs to be done for each department. Discussion of the equipment that needs to be purchased for compliance with OSHA.
Motion by Margaret Bond-Vorel to require department heads to provide annual training on the employee right to know manual for the City of Akeley and maintain documentation of the training by Bobbie Emery, and passed.
Motion by Bobbie to pay Citation 2 item 002 type of citation non-serious for $125.00, seconded by Margaret Bond-Vorel, and passed.
Discussion of the, violation of Minn. Rules 5206.0700 subp. 1(B): A written program was not implemented which, at a minimum, describes how the training, availability of information, and labeling provisions of the Minnesota Employee Right-to-Know Act will be met for hazardous substances, harmful physical agents and infectious agents. There was no penalty for this citation.
Discussion of making sure that the employees all know where the Right to Know policy is kept so that they can access it as needed.
Discussion on the next step to maintain compliance, including contacting LMC and conduct training. Sebrina recommended having a safety committee put into place to oversee the training and safety programs. Discussion of the responsibilities of the department heads to do the implementation.
Discussion of the availability of the training videos and the cost to the city for access to the videos. Discussion of the need of a safety committee.
Motion by Brian Hitchcock to table the discussion of the training videos and safety committee to the next regular scheduled council meeting and to give Billy the authorization to look into the best way to go forward and to report back to the council, seconded by Billie Krotzer, and passed.
Discussion of contacting other cities like Nevis to see what they have in place for training to model off from.
Discussion of other policies that may need to be put into place. Discussion of the Safety requirements for each of the department heads.
Motion by Dan Riggs, to adjourn at 3:02 pm, seconded by Billy Krotzer and passed.
Respectfully submitted by:
City of Akeley
1-2016 RESOLUTION- CONSIGNMENTS
2-2016 RESOLUTION Bank Sig
3-2016 payments without prior authorization
4-2016 Resolution auto payments
5-2016 Resolution EFT's
6-2016 Petty Cash Debit Card Resolution Transferring funds
7-206 Resolution Amending Resoluion 26-2015
8-2016 Resolution Transferring funds
9-2016 Resolution for grants
This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer
If you wish to file a Civil Rights Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at http;//www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W. Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org