MINUTES OF THE AKELEY CITY COUNCIL WORK SESSION
HELD AT AKELEY CITY HALL 6:30PM, JUNE 8, 2015
The Akeley City Council met in a work session Monday June 8, 2015. Mayor Brian Hitchcock called the meeting to order at 6:30pm.
Council members present: Mayor Brian Hitchcock, Dan Riggs, Bobbie Emery, Trygve Karl & Billy Krotzer
The city has two options for funding the PFA loan with a project annual payment of $17,800.00, option 1 is by special assessment and option 2 is by water rates.
The council was presented rate study information and recommendation from Ehlers. The adjusted rates are to account for the cities portion of bonding needed for updating and repairing the water system and to bring the water fund into financial stability without borrowing funds from the sewer department that would need to be paid back.
The recommended rate changes from Ehlers, in order to bring the water fund into financial stability without borrowing money from the sewer fund, is to: increase the water rates 12%, adding a Debt Surcharge of $7.25 starting 2015, for the life of the bond payment, and to decrease the sewer fund 12%. Current base residential charge for water and sewer for is $55.91. Proposed increase for remainder of 2015 is adding the Debt Surcharge of 7.25 this would bring the total base residential charge for 2015 to 63.16. The change for 2016 would decrease the residential base charge to $63.05 with the consumption charge for usage over 4,000 gallons to 6.48. 2017 the rates again would increase the water rate 12% and decrease the sewer rate 12% changing the total base for residential from $63.05 to $63.73, an increase of .68 cents a month and increase the consumption charge to 7.26. 2018, 2019 and 2020 sewer rates would then increase 2.5% each year and the water rates and consumption charges 0% increase each year.
Council discussed shifting Kelly’s wages from the water fund to the general fund and decreasing line item Road / Maintenance / Repair to absorb the shift. There has been talk LGA may increase this year, however, it has yet to be announced. Another possibility to look at would be using excess funds from the park.
The council would like to see reworked numbers from Ehlers with these options.
Motion by Dan Riggs to adjourn at 6:58 pm, seconded by Trygve Karl and Passed.
Respectfully Submitted by,
City Clerk Treasurer
MINUTES OF THE AKELEY CITY COUNCIL REGULAR MEETING
HELD AT AKELEY CITY HALL 6:00PM, May 13, 2015
The Akeley City Council met in a regular meeting Wednesday, May 10, 2015. Mayor Brian Hitchcock called the meeting to order at 6:00pm.
Council members present: Mayor Brian Hitchcock, Dan Riggs, Bobbie Emery, Trygve Karl & Billy Krotzer.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited by the Council and attending audience.
Consent Agenda: Approved
Motion made by Trygve Karl to approve the consent agenda, seconded by Bobbie Emery and Passed.
- Minutes from April 8th 2015 Regular Meeting
- Minutes from April 15th 2015 Local Board of Appeals
- Treasurer’s Report
Total Disbursements $152,819.93 including all automatic payments
Check numbers #13227 to #13305
Total Receipts $93,484.46 including all automatic deposits
Voided Checks #
Claims List of Approval
- April Permits Issued – 1 Deck 1 Addition
- SDCP Report
- Heidi Peper presented the council with bid information for the water project.
- Motion made by Bobbie Emery to advertise for bids seconded by Billy Krotzer and Passed.
- Received Confirmation on the Water Improvement Grant which will require training.
- Sebrina informed the council that she met with Nancy Johnson for the PFA Loan. She will be sending a letter to the council in regards to items that will need to be addressed.
- Sebrina requested a Work Session to go over Water Fund Budget. Motion by Dan Riggs to hold a water budget work session June 8, 2015 at 6:30pm seconded by Trygve Karl and Passed.
- Temporary Office hours May 22 to June 5, 2015 9:30 and 4:30 M-TH and 8:30-12
- HRDC requested the authority to submit Draw Requests while Sebrina is on vacation. Motion by Brian Hitchcock to authorize HRDC to submit on draw request while Sebrina is on vacation, seconded by Bobbie Emery and Passed
East Hubbard County Fire District
- Bobbie presented the council with two options for loan repayment for the fire truck. Brief discussion was held if this purchase could be a conventional loan or if it needed to be bonded Brian stated this is just the cities repayment options through the board and not loan. Motion by Dan Riggs to go with option 2 seconded by Trygve Karl and Passed
- Discussed the Akeley First Response Unit and the need to make a decision on their future.
- A new Fire Contract was presented with the $1500 grant for the Akeley First Response removed. Discussed that a new contract every year does not need to be signed, all that is needed is a bill for the cities portion every year. Motion by Brian Hitchcock for no action seconded by Bobbie Emery and Passed.
- Jimmy informed the council of bills that are being heard in the legislation. Stated that they are seeing new marijuana with significantly higher levels of THC along with the creative “Candy” like appearance, flavors and names.
- Brian addressed the dangers of the burned trailer and flying debris with the high winds at 180 Chicago Avenue. It is still in process with the City Attorney. Jimmy will send a citation via certified mail.
- Lacey was not present
- Bobbie address the council about Lacey is looking to get bids on a sign to put on south 64.
- Lacey no longer is going to set up the bar at the patio Friday night of Paul Bunyan Days
- Would like to have the Liquor Store open on Sunday June 28 from noon to Midnight will address at the next meeting.
- Trygve inquired about a new ice chest freezer at the Liquor Store and selling the Park the old chest freezer from the Liquor Store. Motion by Trygve Karl to allow Lacey purchase a new ice chest for the liquor store at the lowest estimate with the intent to sell the old freezer to the Park seconded by Dan Riggs and Passed.
- Trygve informed the council that there were many leaks at the park when the water was turned on.
- Kelly informed the council there was also a break in the sewer main.
- Trygve informed the council that a cement slab was poured at the manager’s area at a cost of $400.00 they are working on getting a pop machine and vending machine for the park.
- Trygve informed the council that the golf cart at the Park is in need of being replaced. Leonard has an electric one that he would sell to the city for $600.00 plus the old golf cart. Discussed that the city is not allowed to give property away. Motion by Brian Hitchcock to offer to purchase the golf card from Leonard for $600.00 and no trade, seconded by Trygve Karl and Passed.
- Discussed what to do with the old golf cart. Option of junking it or putting up for auction. Sebrina reminded them that there is a process for getting rid of city equipment and that it all needs to be document.
- Larry, Park Manager, stated everything is going good other than the need for a freezer for ice.
- Well Head Project meeting scheduled for June 16th 10am
- Kelly brought up putting Chloride on the Beach road with estimates of $702.00 for the Home Owners, $217.00 for the beach front and $935.00 for the remainder of the road above campground. Motion by Brian Hitchcock to move forward with chloride as presented seconded by Billy Krotzer and Passed.
- Brian inquired about the cost to do Chloride all the city roads. Kelly will look into it.
- Trygve requested to give Kelly another raise. Sebrina addressed the council regarding effects this will impose on the budget with the increases to the cities portion of Taxes, PERA, Workers Compensation and that the Water Fund is operating at a deficit. The council feels that with the $575.00 a month decrease from paying Greg is more than enough to offset the increases. Motion by Trygve Karl to increase Kelly’s wages 60 cents from $16.31 to $16.91 effective immediately, seconded by Billy Krotzer and Passed.
- Motion by Trygve Karl to approve the Temporary Liquor License to EHCFD for June 26 and 28, Seconded by Bobbie Emery and Passed with Billy Krotzer abstaining.
- EHCFD Contract. No Action
- It was requested last meeting to find the cities signed EHCFD Memorandum it was signed 6-19-14 by Mayor Jerry Tatro
- Motion by Dan Riggs to approve the 2015 park flyers, seconded by Bobbie Emery and Passed. Trygve Karl has offered to print them in color as the city does not have the ability to print color.
- Akeley Lions requested to put signs up by the Welcome to Akeley Signs. Motion by Brian Hitchcock to allow them to put up the signs, seconded by Trygve Karl and Passed.
- Brandi requested $ for SAFE Parks Program that will begin June 15, 2015. Motion by Trygve Karl to donate $500.00 from the park fund, seconded by Dan Riggs and Passed.
- Ardelle McAlpine was not present
- Motion by Trygve Karl to do employee performance evaluations immediately following the work session on June 8, 2015, seconded by Billy Krotzer and Passed.
- Brian read a Thank You letter from the Library.
Motion by Dan Riggs to adjourn at 7:30pm seconded by Trygve Karl and Passed.
Respectfully Submitted by,
City Clerk Treasurer
5.2015 account number ytd
5.2015 claims history
5.2015 disbursements register
5.2015 monthly analysis
5.2015 monthly comparison
5.2015 object code ytd
5.2015 receipts register
5.2015 schedule 1
5.2015 schedule 1.xml
5.2015 schedule 2
5.2015 schedule 4
5.2015 schedule 5
This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer
If you wish to file a Civil Rights Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at http;//www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W. Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org