AKELEY CITY COUNCIL
REGULAR MEETING AGENDA
FEBRUARY 10, 2016
6:00 PM AKELEY CITY HALL
Call the Meeting to Order
- Roll Call
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Consent Agenda
- Minutes from January 13,2016 Regular Meeting
- Minutes from January 25, 2016 Special Meeting
- Treasurer’s Report
Total Disbursements $297,213.89 including all automatic payments
Check numbers #13943 to #13999
Total Receipts $166,212.92 including all automatic deposits
Claims List of Approval
- January Building Permits Issued – 0
- HRDC REPORT
- City Hall – Sebrina Hegg
- Credit Card
- Must establish an account with Citizens in order to get a Credit Card. Funds must be designated. Savings accounts must remain active to avoid dormant account fees.
- Capital one does not require this.
- #6-2016 Resolution to Close Petty Cash Debit Card
- Statement of Position from the State Auditor: Some public entities have obtained debit cards instead of or in addition to credit cards.
While entities have the authority to make purchases using credit cards, the authority to
use debit cards is less clear.5 Debit cards allow funds to be immediately withdrawn from
the entity’s financial account, provide fewer protections than credit cards provide, and
circumvent statutory claims approval safeguards. We recommend that entities use credit
cards, and not debit cards, to make purchases for the public entity.
- FYI- Board of Appeal and Equalization April 15th 1pm
- Security System at City Hall
- 2015 Water Project Payment #6 $60,990.00
- East Hubbard County Fire District – Bobbie Emery
- Police Department - Jimmy Hansen
- Liquor Store - Lacey Hitchcock
- Parks – Billy Krotzer
- Destinations Guide Advertising $361.50
- Water/Sewer/Maintenance Report – Kelly VandenEykel
- Grader Purchase
- Snow Blower
- Change Order #2 $6,736.38
- Old Business
- Funds for Paul Bunyan park Bathroom.
- Still waiting to hear back from CPA
- New Business
- John Farrington splitting property
- Akeley Library
MINUTES OF THE AKELEY CITY COUNCIL REGULAR MEETING
HELD AT AKELEY CITY HALL 6:00PM, January 13, 2016
The Akeley City Council met in a regular meeting Tuesday, January 13, 2016. Mayor Brian Hitchcock called the meeting to order at 6:00pm.
Council members present: Mayor Brian Hitchcock, Dan Riggs, Bobbie Emery, Margaret Bond-Vorel & Billy Krotzer.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited by the Council and attending audience.
- Minutes from December 9, 2015 Regular Meeting
- Minutes from December 30, 2015 Special Meeting
- Treasurer’s Report
Total Disbursements $413,229.54 including all automatic payments
Check numbers #13864 to #13942
Total Receipts $336,241.37 including all automatic deposits
Voided Checks 13585 lost payroll check, 13852 duplicate, 13941 miss print
Claims List of Approval
- December Building Permits Issued –1
- HRDC - SDCP Monthly Report
- Motion made by Bobbie Emery to approve the consent agenda, seconded by Margaret Bond-Vorel, Passed.
City Hall - Sebrina Hegg
- Discussion of 2016 Regular Meeting Schedule
- Motion made by Margaret Bond-Vorel to approve the 2016 Regular Council Meeting Schedule of the Second Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm at City Hall, seconded by Bobbie Emery, Passed.
- Discussion of City of Akeley 2016 Department Commissioners Council Assignments; same as last year.
- Motion made by Dan Riggs to approve Commissioner Assignments for the year 2016, seconded by Billy Krotzer, Passed.
- Discussion of Resolution 1-2016 Resolution to Adopt Consignments for 2016. RFP of new City Attorney; when process is complete the Resolution would be amended.
- Motion made by Bobbie Emery to approve Resolution 1-2016 Resolution to Adopt Consignments for 2016, seconded by Margaret Bond-Vorel, Passed.
- Discussion of Resolution 2-2016 Resolution for Authorization Approvals for Signatories of all Accounts at First National Bank of Walker-Akeley Branch.
- Motion made by Dan Riggs to approve Resolution 2-2016 Resolution for Authorization Approvals for Signatories of all Accounts at First National Bank of Walker-Akeley Branch., seconded by Billy Krotzer, Passed.
- Discussion of Resolution 3-2016 Payments Prior to Council Authorization.
- Motion made by Billy Krotzer to approve Resolution 3-2016 Payments Prior to Council Authorization, seconded by Bobbie Emery, Passed.
- Discussion of Resolution 4-2016 Resolution Allowing Wire/Automated Bank Payments.
- Motion made by Dan Riggs to approve Resolution 4-2016 Resolution Allowing Wire/Automated Bank Payments, seconded by Margaret Bond-Vorel, Passed.
- Discussion of Resolution 5-2016 Policy to Allow Electronic Funds Wire Transfer.
- Motion made by Billy Krotzer to approve Resolution 5-2016 Policy to Allow Electronic Funds Wire Transfer, seconded by Bobbie Emery, Passed.
- Discussion of Resolution 6-2016 Resolution Transferring Funds from Petty Cash Checking Debit Card Account to General fund and Close the Petty Cash Checking Debit Card Account. Billy had spoken to the Clerk at the City of Nevis on their Credit Card. Citizens National Bank is the only local bank that does a business credit card that would not be attached to an individual’s Social Security Number. Discussion on what the League recommends.
- Motion made by Billy Krotzer to table approval of Resolution 6-2016 until a Credit Card is in place, seconded by Bobbie Emery, Passed.
- Discussion of Resolution 7-2016 Resolution Amending Resolution 26-2015 Transferring Funds Received from State Aid for Roads. Resolution 26-2015 was for transfer to Roads CD, the CD does not have an add-on option so the funds need to be placed in an investment account.
- Motion made by Brian Hitchcock to approve Resolution 7-2016 Resolution Amending Resolution 26-2015 Transferring Funds Received from State Aid for Roads, seconded by Dan Riggs, Passed.
- Discussion to rescind motion made on 12-09-2015 Transferring line item road maintenance and repairs surplus to roads CD.
- Motion made by Dan Riggs to rescind motion made on 12-09-2015 Transferring line item road maintenance and repairs surplus to roads CD, seconded by Billy Krotzer, Passed.
- Discussion of Resolution 8-2016 Resolution Transferring Funds to Investment Accounts.
- Motion made by Bobbie Emery to approve Resolution 8-2016 Resolution Transferring Funds to Investment Accounts, seconded by Dan Riggs, Passed.
- Discussion of Resolution 9-2016 Resolution authorizing the submission of multiple grants and letters of inquiry to offset the cost of the in-squad computer equipment for the Akeley Police Department.
- Motion made by Dan Riggs to approve Resolution 9-2016 Resolution authorizing the submission of multiple grants and letters of inquiry to offset the cost of the in-squad computer equipment for the Akeley Police Department, seconded by Billy Krotzer, Passed.
- Continued discussion of obtaining a credit card for the City of Akeley from Citizens National Bank (CNB). CNB requires an account to be established within 30 days of the application; a resolution would need to be drafted and approved prior to application.
- Motion made by Brian Hitchcock to table this until more information can be obtained from Citizens National Bank and a resolution can be drafted, seconded by Billy Krotzer, Passed.
- FYI 2016 mileage reimbursement is $.54 per mile.
- Discussion of the Board of Appeal and Equalization April 15th 1pm. Billy and Margaret will complete the training before the February due date.
Discussion of 2015 Water Project Payment #5 in the amount of $87,685.00.
- Discussion on the ASCAP payment for entertainment, total due is $336.00 and the community fund only has $396.08.
- Motion made by Brian Hitchcock to approve payment with funds coming half from Municipal Liquor Store and Park Funds, seconded by Bobbie Emery, Passed.
- made by Bobbie Emery to approve the 2015 Water Project Payment #5 in the amount of $87,685.00, seconded by Margaret Bond-Vorel, Passed.
- Discussion of putting a Security System at City Hall. Damage had been made to front door that needs to be replaced. Billy had done some looking into what it would cost to put one in.
- Motion made by Brian Hitchcock to table this discussion, seconded by Dan Riggs, Passed.
East Hubbard County Fire District – Bobbie Emery
- Council reviewed the draft of December Minutes
- Discussion of hourly wage payment to first responders. Requesting an increase of $2,000 to the contract of the City of Akeley.
- Motion made by Brian Hitchcock to table this discussion, seconded by Bobbie Emery, Passed with Billy Krotzer Abstaining.
- Bobbie reported that she had heard around town, not at EHCFD meeting, that Lee Johnson’s resigned as Fire Chief and Jacob Emmeck is acting Fire Chief and wanted to have some discussion. Billy reported that there was an election. Brian wanted Bobbie to remind them that they have to “hire” a new Fire Chief because they are a government owned entity and they open themselves up for liability issues.
Police Department – Jimmy Hansen
- Reported that the transition with the new software is underway. New laptop should be installed on Friday and starting next week everything should be up and running.
- Motion made by Dan Riggs to reimburse Billy Krotzer for the car charger of the laptop, seconded by Margaret Bond-Vorel, Passed with Billy Krotzer Abstaining.
- Jimmy reported that there have been 4-5 Drug arrests and a couple high speed chases that affected the community.
Liquor Store - Bobbie Emery (Lacey Hitchcock not present)
- Request to be open on Super Bowl Sunday ( February 7th) from 12:00pm – 12:00am.
- Motion made by Dan Riggs to allow the Liquor store to be open February 7th for Super Bowl Sunday, on-sale only opening at noon and closing at midnight, seconded by Billy Krotzer, Passed.
Parks - Billy Krotzer
- Kelly reported on the progress to the new bathrooms. Still scheduled to be completed by May 1st.
Water/Sewer/Maintenance Report – Kelly VandenEykel
- FYI, Reminder of Annual Rate Increase.
- Kelly asked what the price range is for the grader purchase. Kelly is looking for $28,000 - $35,000, plus cost for delivery. Sebrina reported that there is $33,000 in budget right now.
- Kelly reported 6 customer water leaks in the last 2 weeks.
- Discussion of providing portable toilets for the Akeley Ice Racers; tabled in December.
- Motion made by Billy Krotzer to provide portable toilets for the Akeley Ice Racers with monies coming from the Park fund, seconded by Margaret Bond-Vorel, Passed with Dan Riggs Abstaining.
- Dan Riggs reported that the Allen property is currently going through the process of tax forfeiture.
- Dan Riggs reported on the subject property of the 3rd Street extension encroachment issues. He had spoken to the attorney for Jim and Kris Rech (owners of 525 Broadway). They are requesting to have the street vacated and that an easement would be granted for access to the property to the west.
- Motion made by Brian Hitchcock to authorize Dan Riggs to contact the City Attorney on this issue, seconded by Margaret Bond-Vorel, Passed.
- Bobbie asked about the status of uniforms for the administration.
- Bobbie has been in contact with five other cities in Minnesota who have the City Hall closed on Fridays; she requested the City of Akeley look into doing the same. Arrangements could be made to accommodate the water readings. Sebrina Hegg voiced concern that the contacted cities may not have the additional work, which needs to be done for the Municipal Liquor Store and the City Campground. Bobbie stated looking at changing the hours that the City Hall is open on Monday through Thursday to 9:00-5:30. Bobbie reported that the cities she had contacted have populations greater than Akeley and run an office with less staff hours. There was discussion of the budgeted hours spent for meetings verses office work hours. Council agreed that it was something to be looked into.
- Brian stated that it has been brought to his attention of water reading done quarterly would save the city some money. Would need to look at the impact. Bobbie stated that one of the cities she had talked to do the billing quarterly. Dan asked about doing monthly reading and quarterly billing. Sebrina would need to ensure the software would be capable of doing quarterly billing. The savings of postage would potentially eliminate the need for an annual increase. It would be a process and something to look into for the future.
- Charles Andress reported on the Paul Bunyan Park Public Restrooms Project meeting held earlier. The meeting was to determine a fiscal agent for the project and they chose the Akeley HRA. The account currently has $7,076. Request was made for the money from the Northwest Minnesota Foundation account ($2,100) and the Tennis Courts Funds ($6,158) be deposited in this account. There is a request to the Akeley Chamber of Commerce (CoC) for $5,000, this would give the project the money needed to leverage for additional funds. Sebrina reported that the funds are the CoC’s. Sebrina will contact the CoC look into what needs to be done for the funds transfer and report back to the council next month.
- The Methodist Church is asking what the city needs for them to put up an electric sign on Hwy 64. The city does not require anything but they would need to contact the state.
- Bobbie Emery reported from Audrey’s Purple Dream about the Annual Fishing Tournament and Polar Plunge on February 13th. The Mayor, Brian Hitchcock, and the Akeley Chief of Police, Jimmy Hansen, will be jumping in the Polar Plunge with a $1,500 donation.
Motion by Dan Riggs to adjourn at 7:29pm, seconded by Billy Krotzer, Passed.
Respectfully Submitted by,
1.16 CASH BALANCE STATEMENT
1.16 CASH CONTROL STATEMENT
1.16 CLAIMS HISTORY
1.16 DISBURSEMENTS REGISTER
1.16 FINANCIAL STATEMENT
1.16 IFR ACCOUNT NUMBER YTD
1.16 IFR MONTHLY ANALYSIS
1.16 IFR MONTHLY COMPARISON
1.16 IFR OBJECT CODE YTD
1.16 OSC DIT
1.16 RECEIPTS REGISTER
1.16 SCHEDULE 1
1.16 SCHEDULE 1.xml
1-2016 RESOLUTION- CONSIGNMENTS
2-2016 RESOLUTION Bank Sig
3-2016 payments without prior authorization
4-2016 Resolution auto payments
5-2016 Resolution EFT's
6-2016 Petty Cash Debit Card Resolution Transferring funds
7-206 Resolution Amending Resoluion 26-2015
8-2016 Resolution Transferring funds
9-2016 Resolution for grants
This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer
If you wish to file a Civil Rights Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at http;//www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W. Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at email@example.com