AKELEY CITY COUNCIL REGULAR MEETING
MAY 11, 2016, 6:00 PM
AKELEY CITY HALL
- Call to Order: Pledge of Allegiance
- Roll Call
- Agenda: Councilmembers may add or delete items on the agenda at this time
- Minutes from April 13, 2016 Regular Meeting
- Minutes from April 13, 2016 LBA Meeting
- Minutes from April 19, 2016 Special Meeting
- Total Disbursements $225,189.79 including all automatic payments
- Check numbers #14079 to #14266
- Total Receipts $196,286.63 including all automatic deposits
- Voided Checks 14210 duplicate payment
- Claims List of Approval
- Consent Agenda: All items listed with an (*) are considered to be non-controversial by the staff, but not necessarily by the Council, and will be approved by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless a Councilmember, City Staff or Citizens so requests, in which case, the item will be removed from the consent agenda and considered immediately following the consent vote.
*6.1 April Building Permits Issued – 1
*6.2 HRDC REPORT March and April
*6.3 Akeley Municipal Liquor Store Temporary Liquor License Saturday June 25, 2016
*6.4 EHCFD Fire Relief Temporary Liquor License Sunday June 26, 2016
*6.5 Payment #6 $117,605.95 Water Improvement Project
*6.6 Payment #7 $90,368.75 Water Improvement Project
*6.7 Water Plant: Purchase Hardware Fire Wall, Setup and Training in the amount of $2,397.00
*6.8 LMC Liability Coverage Waiver Form – Does Not Waive
- Comments from Citizens: Individuals may address the City Council at this time about any item not contained on the regular agenda. The Council will take no official action on items discussed, with the exception of referral to staff for future report. If there are no comments, the city council will continue with the regular agenda.
- General Business
- Brandi Vredenburg – Safe Parks Program
- Employee Evaluations for Department Heads June 8, 2016 at the Regular council meeting. The public body may close a meeting to evaluate the performance of an individual who is subject to its authority. The meeting must be open at the request of individual to be evaluated prior to the closing of the meeting. MN Stat §13D.01subd. 3 and 13D.05subd. 3(a)
- Chuck Andress
- East Hubbard County Fire District Commissioner Report
- EHCFD Minutes from April 2016
- Department Head Reports
- Liquor Store
- Unfinished Business
4.2016 CASH BALANCE
4.2016 CASH CONTROL
4.2016 CLAIMS HISTORY
4.2016 DISBURSEMENT REGISTER
4.2016 FINANCIAL STATEMENT
4.2016 IFR MONTHLY
4.2016 OSC DIT
4.2016 RECEIPT REGISTER
4.2016 SCHEDULE 1.XLS
MINUTES OF THE AKELEY CITY COUNCIL REGULAR MEETING
HELD AT AKELEY CITY HALL 6:00PM, APRIL 13, 2016
The Akeley City Council met in a regular meeting Wednesday, April 13, 2016. Mayor Brian Hitchcock called the meeting to order at 6:00pm.
Council members present: Mayor Brian Hitchcock, Dan Riggs, Bobbie Emery, Billy Krotzer & Margaret Bond-Vorel.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited by the Council and attending audience.
- Minutes from MARCH 9, 2016 Regular Meeting
- Treasurer’s Report
- Total Disbursements $115,681.68 including all automatic payments
- Check numbers #14094 to #14178
- Total Receipts $104,529.14 including all automatic deposits
- Voided Checks
- Claims List of Approval
- March Building Permits Issued – 0
- HRDC - SDCP Monthly Report
- Motion made by Bobbie Emery to approve the consent agenda with the exclusion of the FYI Board of Appeal and Equalization from the agenda, seconded by Billy Krotzer, Passed.
City Hall - Melody Boettcher
- Discussion of $200 Grant received for Sebrina to attend Clerks Training May 1st to May 6th.
- Discussion on OSHA visit and citations. Citations with fines totaling $625.00. Additionally there is a need to establish a Safety Committee; Approve Safety Policies; Develop and Implement a Training Program.
- Motion made by Brian Hitchcock to table the discussion of the OSHA visit and citations to a special meeting, seconded by Bobbie Emery, Passed.
- Discussion of Pay Equity and noncompliance for the Public Works Supervisor. Dan provided information on changing the title and job description that would cure the noncompliance.
- Motion made by Brian Hitchcock to have Dan and Kelly write a new job description for the Public Works Supervisor and send in to MMB-Pay Equity, seconded by Margaret Bond-Vorel, Passed.
East Hubbard County Fire District – Dan Riggs
- Council reviewed the draft of March Minutes.
- Bobbie reported on the job descriptions and that they would be reviewed at the next Fire Board meeting and asked for any input from the council.
- Dan reported on the new budget process.
- Brian asked that in the new Joint Powers Agreement for 2017 that it be based on property value as opposed to population.
Police Department – Jimmy Hansen
- Reported about the blight issues in the city and citations that were issued.
- Will be attending annual training next week.
- Discussion about what to do with the Brian Allen blight problem. Dan reported it will be Tax forfeited this fall. Discussion if the City could do anything and have the cleanup cost be assessed to the property. Discussion if a ticket is issued and that at court if there could be something done. Dan will contact the City Attorney.
Liquor Store - Lacey Hitchcock (Not Here)
Parks - Billy Krotzer
- Kelly reported on the progress to the new bathrooms.
- STS sent a statement that stated that the last donation received was in $250 in 2014. Discussion that $500 was sent in 2015.
- Motion made by Dan Riggs to send a donation of $500 to STS for cleanup in the Campground, seconded by Margaret Bond-Vorel, Passed.
- Kelly asked about a brochure for the campground.
- Motion made by Bobbie Emery to have Kelly and Billy work on a brochure and business card for the campground through Vista Print, seconded by Billy Krotzer, Passed.
Water/Sewer/Maintenance Report – Kelly VandenEykel
- Kelly reported on the progress at the water plant and water tower. Dan asked about the water pressure.
- Kelly reported that the new computer at the water plant will be able to troubleshoot problems without having to have a service call. He will get an estimate for the service.
- Kelly reported on the work on grading the roads.
- Bobbie brought up discussion of the new water and sewer billing software and the problems with the first billing. Bobbie asked about the postage that was used for the new postcard billing. Discussion of the use of a postage meter in the office.
- Bobbie brought up discussion of hard copies of the pay stubs.
- Discussion of letter received from Habitat for Humanity for consideration of the tax assessment on the property recently purchased. The amount is from the 2015 unpaid water bills and is assessed on the 2016 property tax. Habitat for Humanity had paid the back taxes and other assessments as part of the purchase.
- Motion made by Brian Hitchcock for No Action, seconded by Dan Riggs, Passed.
- Kristen Fake (Akeley C of C) discussed the Akeley Discover Guide. The Akeley CofC is requesting the city purchase an advertisement. Discussion of adding information on the campground.
- Motion made by Dan Riggs to run the advertising in the Akeley Discover Guide for a price not to exceed $95.00 and have Billy, Lacy and Melody rewrite the, seconded by Billy Krotzer, Passed.
- Discussed the Akeley CofC considering putting a disc golf course in the city on city park properties. Chamber members would sponsor a “hole” to cover the purchase and installation costs. The chamber is asking for permission to put it up on the city property. They also need to talk to the DNR for permission of putting holes on their properties.
- Motion made by Brian Hitchcock to allow the Chamber to investigate putting in a disc golf course with the DNR, seconded by Margaret Bond-Vorel, Passed.
- Marilyn Ferrie asked to have Kelly get an estimate for chloride for the road past her property.
- Marilyn also asked about the ATV traffic leaving the park. Kelly is looking into signs directing traffic to the ATV trails.
- Chuck Andress reported on the progress for the Paul Bunyan Park bathrooms. He provided a projected budget and timeline to the council. He asked for a letter of support from the City for the project that would address the use of the city property and that the expense of Maintenance, Sewer and Water, Taxes and Electric would be taken care of by the City.
Motion by Dan Riggs to adjourn at 7:25pm, seconded by Margaret Bond-Vorel, Passed.
Respectfully Submitted by,
MINUTES OF THE AKELEY CITY COUNCIL
HELD AT AKELEY CITY HALL 2:00PM, April 19, 2016
The Akeley City Council met in a special meeting Tuesday April 19, 2016. Mayor Brian Hitchcock called the meeting to order at 2:00pm.
Council members present: Mayor Brian Hitchcock, Dan Riggs, Bobbie Emery, Billy Krotzer and Margaret Bond-Vorel
Also present: Kelly VandenEykel, Maintenance and Sebrina Hegg, Clerk/Treasurer
Discussion of the Citation and Notification of Penalty, violation of Minn. Rules 5206.0700 subp. 1, 2, and 3: The employer did not develop and implement a Right-to-Know training program for employees who were routinely exposed to hazardous substances and harmful physical agents. This Citation carries a penalty of $500.00.
Discussion of the right to know policy. Discussion of the training required by OSHA. Sebrina stated that the training is available as webinars and that there needs to be sign in sheets or documents of the training being completed by each employee.
Motion by Dan Riggs to implement right to know manual for the City of Akeley and get a copy to each of the department heads so they can personalize it to their department, seconded by Billy Krotzer, and passed.
Motion by Brian Hitchcock to pay the fine of $500 for the Citation of not having a Right to Know training program, seconded by Billy Krotzer, and passed.
Discussion of the Citation and Notification of Penalty, violation of 29 CFR 1904.29(a): A Log of all Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses (OSHA Form 300), and /or the Summary of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses, (OSHA Form 300A), and/or the Injury and Illness Incident Report (OSHA Form 301) or equivalent forms were not kept by the establishment. There was no penalty for this citation.
Sebrina stated that this is just an administrative issue that needs to be implemented.
Discussion of the Citation and Notification of Penalty, violation of 29 CFR 1910.1200(h)(3)(iv): Employees training did not include the details of the hazard communication program developed by the employer, including an explanation of the labeling system and the safety data sheets, and how employees can obtain and use appropriate hazard information. This Citation carries a penalty of $125.00.
Discussion of the MSDS logs that need to be kept at each department. Discussion of specific training that needs to be done for each department. Discussion of the equipment that needs to be purchased for compliance with OSHA.
Motion by Margaret Bond-Vorel to require department heads to provide annual training on the employee right to know manual for the City of Akeley and maintain documentation of the training by Bobbie Emery, and passed.
Motion by Bobbie to pay Citation 2 item 002 type of citation non-serious for $125.00, seconded by Margaret Bond-Vorel, and passed.
Discussion of the, violation of Minn. Rules 5206.0700 subp. 1(B): A written program was not implemented which, at a minimum, describes how the training, availability of information, and labeling provisions of the Minnesota Employee Right-to-Know Act will be met for hazardous substances, harmful physical agents and infectious agents. There was no penalty for this citation.
Discussion of making sure that the employees all know where the Right to Know policy is kept so that they can access it as needed.
Discussion on the next step to maintain compliance, including contacting LMC and conduct training. Sebrina recommended having a safety committee put into place to oversee the training and safety programs. Discussion of the responsibilities of the department heads to do the implementation.
Discussion of the availability of the training videos and the cost to the city for access to the videos. Discussion of the need of a safety committee.
Motion by Brian Hitchcock to table the discussion of the training videos and safety committee to the next regular scheduled council meeting and to give Billy the authorization to look into the best way to go forward and to report back to the council, seconded by Billie Krotzer, and passed.
Discussion of contacting other cities like Nevis to see what they have in place for training to model off from.
Discussion of other policies that may need to be put into place. Discussion of the Safety requirements for each of the department heads.
Motion by Dan Riggs, to adjourn at 3:02 pm, seconded by Billy Krotzer and passed.
Respectfully submitted by:
City of Akeley
1-2016 RESOLUTION- CONSIGNMENTS
2-2016 RESOLUTION Bank Sig
3-2016 payments without prior authorization
4-2016 Resolution auto payments
5-2016 Resolution EFT's
6-2016 Petty Cash Debit Card Resolution Transferring funds
7-206 Resolution Amending Resoluion 26-2015
8-2016 Resolution Transferring funds
9-2016 Resolution for grants
This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer
If you wish to file a Civil Rights Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at http;//www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W. Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org