AKELEY CITY COUNCIL
April 9th, 2014
6:00 PM AKELEY CITY HALL
The Akeley City Council met in a regular meeting Wednesday, April 9th, 2014. Mayor Jerry Tatro called the meeting to order at 6:00pm.
Council members present: Mayor Jerry Tatro, Trygve Karl, Dan Riggs, Bobbie Emery & Brian Hitchcock.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited by the Council and attending audience.
Consent Agenda: Approved
Motion made by Trygve Karl, seconded by Bobbie Emery and passed to approve the consent agenda.
March 12th Regular Meeting Minutes
March 25th Work Session Minutes
April 2014 Treasurer’s Report
Total Disbursements $66,939.55 including all automatic payments.
Check Numbers #11932 to #12021
Total Receipts $61,430.27
Voided Checks: #12021
Claims list of Approval
March 2014 Building Permits ~ none
City Hall: Sebrina Hegg
- Judi Moravec Audit Report ~ Motion made by Dan Riggs, seconded by Bobbie Emery and passed to approve the annual audit.
- Reminder: Local Board of Appeal and Equalization Meeting is Wednesday April 16th 2014 at 1:30pm.
- $300.00 Grant ~ Sebrina received a grant in the amount of $300.00 to offset the costs of the training she will be attending at the end of April at the Minnesota Clerks Institute.
- Resolution 9-2014 SUPPORTING LEGISLATION ALLOWING CITTIES TO DESIGNATE THEIR CITY WEBSITE TO PUBLISH PUBLIC NOTICES ~ Motion made by Brian Hitchcock, seconded by Dan Riggs and passed to approve.
- Amend Repeal Ordinance 110 General Licensing Provisions ~ Motion made by Dan Riggs, seconded by Trygve Karl and passed to Repeal the ordinance.
- Amend Ordinance 101 Fee Schedule ~ Motion made by Dan Riggs, seconded by Bobbie Emery and passed to approve.
- Resolution 5-2014 Summary Submit ~ Motion made by Brian Hitchcock, seconded by Trygve Karl and passed to approve.
- 3.2 Liquor License Renewal for T&M Express ~ Motion made by Trygve Karl, seconded by Bobbie Emery and passed to approve renewal.
EHCFD: Bobbie Emery
- EHCFD/First Responders ~ still unable to come to an agreement on contract, may be next year before the process is completed.
- 1.5 ton “Fast Attack Truck” ~ A vehicle the EHCFD is looking into purchasing, was tabled until the April meeting.
- Outstanding Fire Bills ~ there are two $1000.00 fire bills that remain unpaid after a period of a year or more.
A motion was made by Trygve Karl, seconded by Bobbie Emery and passed to approve the City of Akeley making payment on these bills
- Notification Process ~ Motion made by Dan Riggs, seconded by Trygve Karl and passed to approve the process of notifying fire victims by certified letter of possible assessment to taxes if these bills are not paid in full by a designated date.
- Assess to taxes ~ Motion made by Trygve Karl, seconded by Dan Riggs and passed to approve assessing these bills to taxes if not paid by the designated date.
Police Report: Jimmy Hansen
Chief Hansen stated the Chief’s Convention went well, with much useful material presented by various speakers.
- Computer Upgrade Required ~ Necessary to be compatible with Hubbard County’s new website.
- TFL – Hubbard County has property on Pleasant Avenue that they will begin working on demolishing soon.
- Guy Sharpe ~ Will be coming next week to inspect two other properties in town so that we can proceed, with our attorney’s help, in getting them cleaned up.
- BID work on Ordinance issues ~ If Jimmy issues a ticket and someone challenges it in court it is not the County attorney’s place to represent the city, so we are looking at other attorneys who may be able to do this for the city. Estimates will be brought to the next Council Meeting.
Liquor Store Report: Lacey Hitchcock
- Cooler Fan ~ The fan in the cooler broke down, it has been repaired but the bill has not been received as of yet.
- Leak ~ Leak in the basement required a plumber.
- Liquor Store Work Session ~ Motion made by Brian Hitchcock, seconded by Trygve Karl and passed to set April 23rd at 2:30pm as a date for another Liquor Store Work Session, to be held at City Hall.
- Paul Bunyan Days Entertainment ~ Motion made by Dan Riggs, seconded by Bobbie emery and passed to approve $500.00 for a Paul Bunyan Days band, to be paid out in June.
Parks/Campground: Trygve Karl
- Facebook site ~ Our Facebook page has 154 likes to date.
- Bulletin Boards, Prize Drawings for campers, T-shirt design competition for kids ~ Council felt that signs were more a priority, no one had much interest in promotional ideas for the Park at this time. It was stated that more contact with the DOT was necessary to find out how to approach sign maintenance or replacement.
- Larry Stiffler’s Website Statistics Report ~ Showing an increase in users this spring with nearly 2000 unique visits in the past month, and an increase to 30 referrals from the C&C website. Use of handheld devices is increasing rapidly and Larry is working to address compatibility issues.
- Utilization Report ~ Seasonal rentals are booked to 55%, RV rentals are booked to 27%, and tent rentals are booked to 9% of capacity.
Water/Sewer/Maintenance Report: Kelly VandenEykel
- MDH Wellhead Protection Planning ~ 1st meeting went well. Grant monies are available for clean ups necessary to protect our water from contamination from things such as old wells that have not been properly capped, etc…
- May 1st through 5th ~ Kelly will be out of town, has help set up for this time.
- Computer Estimates ~ With estimates received from Microtech, Best Buy, and Hewlet Packard and Microtech being the lowest at $2607.00. Motion made by Dan Riggs, seconded by Brian Hitchcock and passed to approve the purchase of 3 laptops and one desk top computer from Microtech Computer Center.
- Comparable Wages ~ Brian suggested that wage scales in the area be looked at and maybe setting a work session date at the May Council Meeting for figuring out which direction the Council wants to go with pay raise policy.
- Akeley Community Library request for funds ~ Motion made by Dan Riggs, seconded by Bobbie Emery and passed to take no action.
- Samford & Son Salvage ~ FYI is available for spring/fall city wide cleanups within a 75 mile radius of Bemidji.
- Akeley Community Garage Sale ~ To be held on Saturday May 17th 2014, to be placed on the map of outside sales contact Peg Davies @ 218-252-1541 before April 28th .
- University of Minnesota Tourism Center request for donation ~ Motion made by Jerry Tatro, seconded by Trygve Karl and passed to take no action.
- Marylin Ferrie ~ asking if we can get an estimate from the County for the Calcium Chloride on Crow Wing Drive. Kelly will take care of it.
- Paul Bunyan Statue repairs ~ waiting on the weather to begin.
Motion by Trygve Karl, seconded by Dan Riggs and passed to adjourn the meeting at 7:26pm.
Respectfully Submitted by:
City of Akeley
Cash Balance Statement
IFR Monthly Analysis- ALL
Out Standing Checks and Deposits
Schedule 1 3.31.14.xls
Schedule 1 3.31.14.pdf